I made several adaptations (I just made one layer of bread since my slices were kind of thick; I used rice milk instead of low-fat milk and green onions instead of chives; I also didn't have thyme, so I just omitted it), and the kids enjoyed it. My youngest son especially liked the "custard" (the dish was very reminiscent of this Bacon & Eggs Bread Pudding).
The Ham and Cheese Breakfast Bake is the perfect make-ahead brunch dish, and would be great for dinner too!
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Bake:
- 2½ c low-fat milk (I used rice milk)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1 baguette, cut into 1" slices
- 1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 c thinly sliced deli ham, chopped
- 1 T chopped green onions
- Spray 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange bread on bottom of baking dish.
- Pour milk mixture all over bread.
- Top with cheese and ham.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 50 to 55 minutes in a 350-degree Fahrenheit oven.
- Garnish with chopped green onions.