One recipe I stumbled upon was for a savory spinach scone. I prefer savory over sweet most of the time, so I was eager to try out the recipe.
I ended up making mini scones (since I love making mini everything - cookies, muffins, etc.), and the end result was very yummy, although the scones turned out a little more flat than I had hoped for.
These scones are great for breakfast or a snack. Next time I may throw in a little bacon.
Spinach Cheddar Scones
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 1 T white sugar
- 2 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 c butter, chilled and chopped into cubes
- 3/4 c milk
- 1 c packed fresh spinach
- 1 c grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c chopped turkey
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- With a pastry cutter, mix in the butter with the flour mixture.
- In a food processor, blend the milk and spinach.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir.
- Mix in the cheese and turkey.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and press into an 8 x 8 inch square.
- Cut the dough into 9 even squares, then cut each square into two triangles.
- Place dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.
You can view the original recipe here on Weelicious.