My kids absolutely loved the Spinach Banana Muffins (aka Hulk Muffins) I made a while ago, so I decided to make them again since I bought a huge bag of spinach and we had overripe bananas.
However, in the middle of baking the muffins, I realized my husband took the overripe bananas to work, so I had to improvise, and I used Halos (mandarin oranges) plus one banana.
It was so delicious! I decided to make another batch using only mandarin oranges, and I just loved it.
The kids can't taste the spinach at all, and they love having the muffins for breakfast, snack, and even dessert. I've slipped many times, calling them "spinach muffins" instead of "Hulk muffins," but thankfully they haven't caught on.
I made several batches and popped bags full of the muffins into the freezer.
Many people commented on Instagram that this wold be a great treat for St. Patrick's Day!
Spinach Mandarin Mini Muffins
- 2 c flour
- ¾ c sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- 1½ t ground cinnamon
- ½ t salt
- ¼ c vegetable oil
- ¾ c milk (I used rice milk)
- 3 c fresh spinach
- 6 Halos (mandarin oranges)
- 2 t pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a blender, combine oil, milk, spinach, mandarins, and vanilla until pureed.
- Pour puréed mixture into dry mixture and combine.
- Fill prepared mini muffin tins and bake for 9-11 minutes (for regular-sized muffins, bake for 18-20 minutes).